Saturday, September 20, 2008

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death

Wonder how much I could have sold it for on EBay had I not given it away for free

Once again, a foreign national has shown us that they know America better than America knows itself.

Andrew Sullivan put on quite a show on HBO's Real Time with Bill Mahr last night. I believe he hit it spot on when he argued that the founding fathers would rather die than abdicate the civil liberties that our fear of terrorism has cost this country. It reminded me just how powerful a statement Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death is.

Strangely, we don't need to go as far back as the colonial era to find this trait within the American identity. As recent as World War II the Greatest Generation still exhibited this American trait. Americans weren't asked to go out and shop after Pearl Harbor, they were asked to sacrifice and volunteer -- and they did! So how did sacrifice and the spirit of volunteerism become such a foreign concept to us? How did we lose this identity within a few short decades? If you ask me, I blame stuff.