Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Would Palin Even Qualify as a Staffer?

In the distant future, the year 2000, McCain will once again be a model politician

Vice presidential debates are tomorrow. While her recent interviews have proven how her knowledge on key issues lack depth, I agree with the assessment that Palin will do just fine in her showdown with Senator Biden. Palin is a proven spokesperson. By that I mean if given a set of talking points and punch lines, she'll deliver with style. But if she's asked for her own analysis like on her interview with Gibson and Couric, she will struggle to weave together loose thoughts that form incoherent sentences.

That said, the format of Thursday's debate will not require Palin to stray too far off her talking points. Therefore, Palin will appear confident, likable, and stand her ground against Biden. Unfortunately, her dismal performance on interviews with network anchors has set expectations so low for her that all she has to do is swing for par and her base will be able to spin a victory for her.

I just want to further express my disappointment with Palin in practical terms. If I was interviewing with John McCain to be a simple staffer on either his economic or foreign policy team, I would not be hired if I responded with Palin's answers - NO ONE WOULD. I find it tremendously disingenuous that McCain continues to laud her qualifications to be vice president, and by default, president of the United States. The 2008, politics first, McCain is a mere shadow of the 2000, country first, McCain that I admired.

If the disastrous possibility that a McCain/Palin victory should unfold, I will still hold out hope that McCain will return to his maverick self. I hope that McCain will just say, "F@*k you guys, I did what I had to do to get elected, now I will go back to being me and get sh*t done."